Saturday, July 3, 2010

Saccharine with a Cherry on Top

Sister is taking a nap, Liz is camping and I am sitting around watching yesterday's semi episode, "Girl's Hoe Down." I don't understand how a Cowboy Cooler (tequila and beer) is appropriate for a girl's evening, but I digress. I was equal parts inspired and bored so I went on foodtv.com to see what I could make with my ever expanding liquor cabinet (I hope one day to have a liquor closet like Aunt Sandy, which is inevitable the way this experiment is going). This led me to the Waikiki Cocktail: one ounce of dark rum and guava juice are shaken with the juice of 1/2 a lemon and 1/2 an orange, a teaspoon of sugar and a dash of grenadine. What is the difference between a dash and a splash? Anyway, pretty sure I added just a dash, I shook the ingredients in a shaker, poured it into a martini glass and dropped in a maraschino cherry. Anything with cherries gets my vote of approval without even tasting the potentially hazardous concoction. Even if something is undrinkable, there is always that perfectly red cherry so pumped full of processed crap that even the worst drink couldn't penetrate its plastic skin. Delicious. Seriously though, I love the lil' buggers. Anyway, upon my first smell I was bombarded by the dark rum. Not a huge fan of rum, I grimaced and took my first hesitant sip. The drink doesn't taste like rum (thank god), it tastes like sweetness....but not in a very good way. It starts out tart, but then the sugar overload seeps into the tastbuds. You can taste mainly the guava and the lemon. I think the teaspoon of sugar is beyond unnecessary considering the dash of cloying grenadine and juices.

Wanting a second opinion, I just woke up my sister and shoved the drink in her hand. She said it was pretty good and wasn't too sweet for her. She must still be dreaming. Once again Aunt Sandy, this russipie is an affront to my palate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

avandia lawsuits