Monday, July 5, 2010

Cocktail Time - Deep Woods Edition

Like Jillian said, 4th of July weekend in DC means one thing and one thing only to me - I gotta get the hell outta DC, and fast. So some of our friends planned a camping trip to the middle of nowhere Virginia. We loaded up the Benz on Friday morning and headed out to commune with nature for a few days. So I thought, how can I bring Aunt Sandy to the great outdoors? Do I make a dish? Do I make a drink? Perhaps both? Then I remembered that Aunt Sandy's culinary delights can cause indigestion the likes of which isn't usually seen outside of Mexico, so that's probably not a good idea. Drink it is! Also, while the Benz is a luxury vehicle, it does not have a ton of trunk space and 5 of us plus one dog was going to mean a lot of togetherness for several hours - better not have too many ingredients. So I thought back to an episode of Semi-Homemade when Aunt Sandy did something that made my heart weep, she mixed beer with lime juice concentrate. I've been "enjoying" this foray into liquor cocktails for this little experiment, but truth be told I'm a beer girl. Good beer should stand alone. No need for frills or garnish, just beer. So watching the botox grimace version of delight on Ms. Lee's face when she poured limeaid into a pitcher with Corona, I must say that a little piece of my soul died.

But anyway, I wanted to make something, and it was the only thing that made sense. So after we put up the tents I whipped out a can of semi-frozen limeaid, a rubbermaid
pitcher and prepared to inflict yet another Frankenstein beverage on my friends. Enter the Lime Beer Cocktail. 1 6-pack of beer, 1 can of limeaid, 1 half of squeezed lime, lime wedges for garnish. Simple enough. The recipe recommends Corona, but we were on a budget and had limited space so I settled for a mixture of Yuengling and Miller Light, cause I'm classy. I poured one for everyone, while assuring everyone that it would not hurt my feelings if they didn't like it, and to be honest. I think we still need some work on that "be honest" thing. Lindsay said she would have liked it more if she didn't know that there was limeaid in it. Everyone else said it wasn't that bad, a little sweet, but not bad. I wasn't a fan. It was syrupy sweet. I feel like it left a film in my mouth. Not to mention a brief flashback to my younger days when I consumed things like Smirnoff Ice and Fuzzy Navel on the regular. It was a 17 year-old chick drink. Like the here- comes-the-airplane version of beer. So if you are ever in a situation where you must serve an alcoholic beverage to someone who hates beer, or if beer is all you have, you are desperate for a drink, and happen to have a can of limeaid hanging around, this is a solid option.
Hope you all had a safe holiday weekend, and not to get you too excited, but a slow cooker edition is in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was good...but I had been drinking for like 6 hours by the time those were made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who makes something similar, though much better..."beergaritas." Basically it's this recipe + tequila. Yummy and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete

 

avandia lawsuits