Sunday, October 3, 2010

Semi-homemaker's entry!

Many apologies for such a late new entry. I am currently procrastinating studying for a midterm tomorrow and thought, what better way to delay studying than to post a long overdue semi-edible entry?! Today's entry is by our friend Joey, who had us over for a Semi-Homemade Mexican Fiesta Party last month (which we have yet to write about). Joey was so happy with the results of that party (hah) that he decided to try another super simple russipe. Here is his amazing review of what sounds so gross (despite it having 90 reviews and an unbelievable 5 star rating) I wish I had been there to try it:

After creating two horrible Sandra Lee dishes already (Margarita Chicken and Borracho Beans) I was reluctant to try another recipe. However, after visiting the Semi-Homemade homepage on FN, I saw a clip where she made Apple Maple Turkey Burgers with Maple-Dijon Sauce. I laughed at the simplicity of the recipe, yet I've been hankering for a turkey burger for a while and I decided to attempt another Aunt Sandy concoction.

The ingredients are simple enough, and I had most of them, but as I was in the grocery store buying the few extra items I needed, I quickly realized how different her recipes are from her show. For example, on the show, she specifically said to use "lean ground turkey" because if it is not "lean" then it is mixed with dark turkey meat. However, the recipe merely says "ground turkey breast." I have some experience cooking with ground turkey and I have never seen ground turkey "breast" only 97% and 99% lean ground turkey. Since the 97% was on sale, I purchased that. The recipe also calls for "poultry seasoning." I'm not sure what this seasoning is. I searched the spice aisle for at least 10 minutes before an employee noticed my perplexed face and asked if he could help. However, he could only point me to McCormick's rubs that seemed to be intended for grilled chicken. I even called upon a friend to see if she knew what it was. Alas, I decided to use the only chicken seasoning I know and trust - Adobo.


The patties are made with 1 1/4 lb. ground turkey, 1/4 c. bacon bits, 1/2 c. applesauce, poultry seasoning and 2 T. maple syrup. After combining all the ingredients, I became concerned about the consistency of the meat. It was too soft and I was concerned that the burgers would fall apart once I started cooking them. My better judgment told me to add an egg to keep it together, but instead I trusted Aunt Sandy and continued on as the recipe directed.

I do not have a grill, and the show uses what appears to be an indoor electric grill, so I used my cast-iron Ikea grilling pan, which I oiled and heated on medium heat. I put the burgers in the pan and cooked each side for about 7 minutes as directed.


While the burgers were cooking, I made the Maple-Dijon sauce. However, I found the sauce to be runny and pretty much tasting like sweet mayonnaise (it's mayo, mixed with dijon and more maple syrup). Once the burgers were cooked, I added a slice of tomato and some red onions as she did on the show. Then topped it with a "dollop" of the Maple-Dijon sauce.


Surprisingly, the burger was good! A little messy because the runny Dijion sauce drips as you eat it, but it was juicy and a little sweet, which was a pleasant addition to the bland flavor of a regular turkey burger. I would have to say that I may actually make these again sometime. However, I would probably add cheese to the burger - a Gruyere or muenster perhaps. My faith in Sandra Lee has been partially restored!

1 comment:

  1. Your blog cracks me up! FYI, poultry seasoning is indeed a real spice mixture. McCormick makes a good one. It's basically sage with thyme and marjoram. However, your adobo use was probably smarter.

    ReplyDelete

 

avandia lawsuits